London Road was laid out at the beginning of the 19th century and Buckingham Terrace was completed in 1828 on land previously owned by rich quaker, Thomas Buckingham. The property was administered by The Buckingham Trust in the interests of the Society of Friends until the 99 year lease expired in 1924.
Number 77 London Road is at the north end of the terrace and was designed on a more commodious scale that the rest for occupation by the builder.
By 1970 the building had become dilapidated and an application was made for permission to demolish. This was opposed by the Trust and other local bodies and the application was refused. The Trust subsequently acquired the property and converted it into six flats which were sold at little more than the loans needed to complete the work of restoration.