King’s Lynn possesses one of the few surviving early Victorian public swimming baths. The baths were opened in 1856 and have survived remarkably intact. The original building comprised an entrance portico, a superintendent’s house, pool and poolside areas, changing spaces, settling tank, boilers and other ancillary spaces. It is a grade 2 listed building. (https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1195305)
It is now owned by the King’s Lynn Conservancy Board (KLCB) and they currently use the western section as offices. The pool hall was used as a boxing club training venue for some time but has been unused for the last few years and the ancillary areas are now derelict.
The Trust is working with the Conservancy Board to identify a viable use for the bath buildings that will retain their character. We have appointed consultants to undertake a feasibility study which will investigate the potential for repair, conversion and re-use of the Baths to ensure the preservation and future economic use of the building. A number of options are being considered including offices and performance spaces.
Once we have identified a preferred option for the future of the baths we will develop a restoration project in conjunction with the Conservancy Board.
We are very grateful for support for the feasibility stage of the work by a grant from the Architectural Heritage Fund.